Saturday, June 28, 2008

My job history is like a soap opera …

… And if I were to name my job history, I'd name it "All My Joblins" or "(2) Days of My Jobs" (c'mon, get it? Get it? I have way too much time on my hands).

I have no clue in what direction I'm going, but here is the list (as much as I can remember) of what jobs I've had and still have:

  • Pizza Hut waitress
  • Cleric/Kit put-er together-er/Receptionist/Jr. PR person/Office tools fixer (still have this job! Woohooo! 3 years strong!)
  • Library stocker/Collections Van driver (quit one day after starting.)
  • Zio's waitress (quit before starting.)
  • Red Lobster waitress (quit one week after starting, all that corporate hoo-ha really freaked me out.)
  • Papa John's Delivery Driver (don't do this if you like to work with people, it'll make you want to go postal.)
  • Office Receptionist (if your boss tells you to do one thing, and the lady in accounting tells you to do another and you do what the lady in accounting told you to because she's standing over your shoulder, and your boss yells at you for it—tell her you did because the lady in accounting told you to. Otherwise you look incredibly stupid and they will fire you.)
  • Troop Leader for Campfire kids (Loved. This. Job.)
  • Temp job at Housing and Urban Development Dept. (I sat in an office all day and reorganized files. Then I reorganized the file room. The highlight was when I got to call people and make appointments. Thank god for books on tape.)
  • Non-profit volunteer (Also a fantastic job, I got to work with kids again. It was the adults who were disappointing.)
  • Writer for college publication (this is where I started to develop my writing chops and really begin to love writing and researching.)
  • Academic Essay tutor (Still do this for two people. It's actually really fun and makes me feel useful.)
  • Newspaper intern (Did a lot of research, but also learned a lot.)
  • Office Manager (Quit after one week. They wanted me to do bookkeeping.)
  • Temp office job (Quit at lunch. I felt kind of bad about that one, but it was going to be sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day doing numerical data entry. Sorry people, even books on tape won't get rid of that tension headache.)
  • Freelance writing (wrote an article for a magazine and am trying to write articles to get published in papers in the area.)

So yes, I've had a lot of jobs. I have trouble holding down a job that I really dislike unless I have friends there or there's some kind of reward at the end. I'm starting to figure out what direction I'm going in. … At least I think I am and then I think maybe I'd like interior design. Honestly brain, why do you do this to me?

I'll be out of town over the weekend, but will try to log on and post. Next topic…how to know you love a job, how to know you hate it.

No comments: